Into the Raging Sea: Thirty-three Mariners, One Megastorm, and the Sinking of the El Faro, a narrative nonfiction book on the tragic loss in October 2015 of the American cargo ship El Faro, coming out May 15, 2018.
Deputy editor, Ideas section, The Boston Globe, winter 2017.
Boston magazine, Boston, MA, April 2007 to December 2017.
Executive Editor, 11/13 – 2/16
Articles Editor, 11/12 – 11/13
Senior Editor, 11/11 – 11/12
Home Design Editor, 4/07 – 12/17
Freelance Writer, 2005 to present: Articles published in Esquire, Hemispheres, Boston Globe Sunday Magazine, Sunday Boston Globe, Metropolitan Home, Barnard Alumnae magazine, Architecture Boston, Design New England, Yankee magazine, among others.
Architectural Designer, Leers Weinzapfel Associates, Boston, 2000 to 2005
Barnard College, Columbia University, New York, NY, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Penn Design, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, Master of Architecture, Awarded the E. Lewis Dales Traveling Scholarship
• Finalist: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2017, category: reporting, "A Fatal Mistake."
• Master of Ceremonies: The Sixth Boston Society of Architects Annual Design Awards Gala, February 2017.
• Panelist: "Beyond Homogeneity: Boston's Solution" with Metropolis magazine editor Susan Szenasy at Payette, September 2016.
• Finalist: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2016, category: essay/commentary/criticism, “Why Is Boston So Ugly?”
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association Excellence Award 2016, category: special publication for Boston Magazine’s Chinese Language edition (founding editor)
• Speaker: The Fifth Boston Society of Architects Design Awards Gala, January, 2016.
• Speaker: “Understanding Design Lecture Series,” Northeastern University, October, 2015.
• Panelist: “Alternative Careers for Architects,” MIT, October, 2015.
• Moderator: ABX 2015, “The Politics of Design,” a discussion between Brian Golden, Director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority; Kelly Saito, Vice President of Development, Gerding Edlund; and David Hacin, Founder and Principal of Hacin + Associates.
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2015, category: essay (editor, “One of Us,” a personal essay on race in South Boston during the Whitey Bulger era)
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association General Excellence Award 2015 (executive editor, Boston magazine)
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2014, category: ancillary publication (editor, Boston Home)
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2014, category: civic journalism, “The Authority,” an investigative story on the Boston Redevelopment Authority
• Finalist: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2013, feature writing (editor, “The Audition”)
• Moderator, panelist: ABX, Residential Design and Construction, 2010.
• Recipient: Home Award, American Home Furnishings Alliance, 2010
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2009, category: ancillary publication (editor, Boston Home)
• Recipient: City and Regional Magazine Association Award 2008, category: ancillary publication (editor, Boston Home)
Masters World Championships, Princeton, NJ, 2007, gold medal
Masters National Championships, Worcester, MA, 2007, multiple gold medals
New Hampshire Championships, 2005, gold medal
Member, Cambridge Boat Club, volunteer for the Head of the Charles Regatta
Sailing, motorcycles, Icelandic horses, knitting, film, bicycle commuting, yoga, baking bread from scratch, brewing, building and implementing systems, city planning, Amsterdam, playing the provocateur.